Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Simple Joys

Welcome to Simple Joys on Chief 187™Chatter. Living a life with young children is

a mix of the most rewarding and some of the most frustrating times of my life to date. The good far outweighs the bad but I am at times stymied by how my own offspring insight such conflict within me.

As the adult I try to understand why my child is acting the way he/she is during the times he/she is misbehaving. Like adults children are affected adversely by hunger, tiredness, and inability to communicate.

When I stop to remember that I am responsible for my children’s daily needs, have the power and the responsibility to provide for them, and drop all I am doing to meet them, my children morph back into sweet beings.


In other words, I have an enormous role in ensuring Simple Joys have an opportunity to flourish in my life as well as the lives of my children.

Hunger, tiredness, the inability to communicate, and feeling alone are also the overwhelming feelings that make adults unbearable. When we recognize these traits in our own lives we need to take the responsibility to address them immediately so our inner child is nourished.

Simple Joys need a proper mindset to occur; if we tend to ourselves and our children then Simple Joys will have room to occur.

We all know how vital Simple Joys are.

Now, without further ado, is today’s Simple Joys.




The Longest Day of the Week. Wednesday is the longest day of my week. Last week I was coming off of a particularly frustrating Tuesday so Wednesday I decided to dress up. I dressed my daughter up as well!

All day we did our chores and prepared for the long afternoon that stretches into a long night for us in “pretty clothes”.

My changed attitude, glimpse of myself in the mirror once or twice, the sight of my adorable daughter, and dedication to having a better day regardless of the length, did much to restore peace and tranquility to our day.

We ended our day smiling and laughing like we began it. That is a Simple Joy I can relish & aim for every Wednesday!


The Radio Shows. I don’t often mention the Internet Radio work I do, but it is a big part of my every week.

Over the holidays we were off air a lot so the routine was broken. Getting back to a schedule is usually a bit daunting.

Once I sit down at my desk, slip my headphones on my ears and hear the familiar voices of my co-hosts, I am deliriously happy!

I work on 3 shows at two different Internet radio stations. Whether I’m talking about sports or music, news topics, or NASCAR, I am soaking in the Simple Joys each time I am on air.


Toy Story & Toy Story 2. My daughter received a Barbie movie for Christmas that she is obsessed and demands we play every day and, if we allow, several times a day.

Last week, in desperation, I instructed my sons to put on Toy Story, praying the child was old enough to enjoy the toys talking and engaging in hilarious situations.

She did! When I introduced Toy Story 2 a couple of days later, she was mesmerized that the now-favorite characters had a new story to impart!

Bringing out old family favorites for my daughter and having her love them as much as we do is a Simple Joy that has restored sanity!


Getting the Job. I have made no bones about the fact that I am fully dedicated to make a career as a writer.

When I began Chief 187™Chatter in September 2010 I had no clearcut idea about what my future might hold. Any opportunity that arose I took and tackled with my enthusiasm and professionalism.

As my list of sites that featured my work grew longer, I simply concentrated on promoting what I thought was my best.

My best got the attention of people in motorsports/NASCAR reporting who I greatly admire. They contacted me.

Late last week I was offered a job and my first article appeared on their site on Saturday. I am overjoyed!

I have no idea what the future holds for me, but I am confident that with hard work, professionalism, and an abundance of ideas from which to construct articles, I will be writing for years to come!

Getting the “dream job” after all of the hard work is a Simple Joy that still has me flying high!

To find my newest site that I am most proud please visit http://MotorsportsUnplugged.com.

I am including the link on the sideboard of my favorite places online as well as at http://Chief187.com.

I do hope you will check out my byline which at this site is Candice Smith.


Simple Joys. At the risk of sounding redundant, writing Simple Joys is a Simple Joy in and of itself. I not only get to chronicle the best parts of my life, I get to keep perspective, concentrate on the positive, and share with all of you.

Simple Joys are ever-present, we just need to open our hearts and minds to their existence.

By giving ourselves the best conditions to find them – feeding our bodies, resting our minds, speaking up for ourselves, and taking company – we see that they can flourish in our lives.

I hope whether you write down your Simple Joys weekly like I do or by simply thinking about them, you squeeze every Simple Joy out of life!

Join me tomorrow as I wax poetic about yet another topic on Chief 187™Chatter.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Chief! your kids have really grown over the past year, you still young enough to have more?

    ReplyDelete