Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Simple Joys

Welcome to Simple Joys on Chief 187™Chatter.



Appreciating what I have instead of wishing for something I don’t is a part of embracing Simple Joys.

Taking time to “smell the roses” is another.

Forgiving myself is yet another.

Accepting my circumstances is still another.

What I learn from Simple Joys seems to be endless and completely helpful.

Now, without further ado, is this week’s Simple Joys.



Shari. She is boisterous (loud) and hilarious. She is a fellow mother with sons in Little League. She is, like me, embracing 40 this summer. And we, like a magnetic force, are drawn together as friends.

You are never too old to make new friends, to find a person who cheers you, makes you laugh, and complement you. Little League brought so much to our family, and Shari was a lovely part of that.

Finding a new friend in Shari has been an amazingly wonderful Simple Joy.



Burning Rubber Radio. A couple of months ago a friend on Facebook asked me to join his radio show with a five minute segment all my own. It could have been a logistical nightmare, but everything fell into place – the time he needed me to work, when the show airs, and our personalities meshing.

I’ve had an enormously wonderful time doing my stint, playing off of new personalities, and expanding my reach in the racing world.

Once again, opportunity arose for me to make new friends and further my career so I jumped at the chance. I’m proud of the work I’m doing there and look forward to exploring my role.

Being a part of the fine panel of Burning Rubber Radio is a Simple Joy that was unexpected but is now highly valued.

You can find out more about this program by checking out Burning Rubber Radio at their Facebook page for air times.



Jewelry Store. While at the local TJ Maxx shopping for some gifts I was waiting at the jewelry kiosk for help. A woman was ahead of me asking questions about a piece of jewelry that the salesgirl, as nice as she was, had no clue how to answer.

Not wanting to be rude but knowing I could help out, I offered my assistance. Like no time had passed my jewelry expertise kicked in and I explained the characteristics of the piece, compared it to other pieces in the marketplace, and virtually sold the woman on it.

My career path went a different direction; instead of pursuing a course of education through the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) I followed my other dream of being a writer.

Helping the woman make an educated purchase of a piece of jewelry she truly adored was a Simple Joy I had nearly forgotten.



My parents. Every Fall my parents kiss me good bye and head back to Florida where they reside. It is a sadness that pervades everything but I know it is the right thing for all of us.

On the flip side, every June I anticipate their arrival to officially kick off Summer and look forward with excitement to the fun we’ll have throughout the season.

They came for dinner Saturday night, their first visit of the summer. Everything that could go wrong did.

The cake I made to celebrate my mother’s May birthday belatedly refused to come out of the pan attractively.

The gorgeous marinated flank steaks sat cold and raw on the grill as my husband realized at 6:30p that we were completely out of propane.

But instead of panicking and freaking out like I used to do, I took everything in stride. Gone are the histrionic rantings and ravings.

Within the hour we were seated to a lovely dinner, laughing and talking like no time had passed. Dessert was ugly but still so scrumptious!

Having my parents back in my neighborhood and actually enjoying each and every Simple Joy associated with their visit was a huge and welcome relief.



Swim. My middle boy tried out for swim team, the one his brother was on last year. Since my eldest was on the team last year he did not need to try out. The middle guy made the team last summer but he didn’t have the endurance necessary which was fine as he was only four then.

He made the team which was greatly satisfying and he seems to have the stamina that was missing from last year.

Swim team practices began this week and that, believe it or not, is another Simple Joy that heralds the beginning of summer and the start of a whole new avenue for Simple Joys.

As I write these posts week in and week out I find out so much more about myself. In addition, I am applying things I learn to situations that used to baffle me or throw me off. I’m able to use Simple Joys to help me in my day to day life.

Whether you read Simple Joys occasionally, are a loyal follower, or are reading for the first time, I hope you can take away something personal.

By writing down your own Simple Joys or by at least thinking about them consciously gives you a wholly new perspective, a positive one, to take with you.

Wishing you all a lifetime of Simple Joys.

Please join me tomorrow as I wax poetic on yet another topic on Chief 187™Chatter.

1 comment:

  1. Good as always to hear how you are doing. And congrats to your boys! It must be hard keeping up with them and your little girl.

    ReplyDelete