Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Simple Joys

Welcome to Simple Joys on Chief 187™Chatter.

It can be very frustrating and irritating when life doesn’t go the way we planned or the way we want it to. Expectations that are high can plummet to the Earth leaving us put out, angry, and hurt.

These are the times connecting with one’s Simple Joys are so necessary. Of course we want to get our way all of the time, but accepting what we are given allows for peace. Lowering our expectations provides sanity.

I’m not at all stating we should give up on trying hard, reaching our goals and dreams, or anything of the sort. My point is, let life happen some, too. Give yourself time to live, roll with the punches, and get up when you’re knocked down.

In the meantime, try to find your Simple Joys. It isn’t hard as they are available for anyone with an open mind and an open heart.

Simple Joys can be as small as a silly joke that makes you laugh out loud, a phone call from a friend, or the hug from a child. Delicious foods, bike rides, favorite television shows, sports events, and romantic evenings rank as Simple Joys. I needn’t define them, you do that for you.

And now, without further ado, is this week’s Simple Joys.

School holiday. My children had three days off of school at the end of last week. We had a long, glorious weekend spread before us. It was like having a mini-taste of summer vacation in the cold autumn weather. The boys didn’t sleep in, not once, as they were allowed to play the Wii on weekends and school holidays only. But we also hung out, had leisurely meals, sang to the iPod, and giggled a lot.

Breaking out of the rigorous schedule to indulge in complete and total relaxation was a sublime Simple Joy I shared with my children whom I adore.

Date Night. The only thing that is better than spending quality time with my children? It is spending alone time with my husband. We spent five awesome hours together alone on a date on Friday and it was blissful. We got the car inspected, had dinner at The Cheesecake Factory (first time), and got me a new bicycle! It was so cool because we talked uninterruptedly, held hands, kissed a lot, and simply reveled in one another’s company.

Periodically spending alone time with my handsome, sexy husband who is also my best friend is a Simple Joy that lights up my world.

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Mmmmmm. Inexplicably bright green, filled with flat pieces of rich dark chocolate, and minty and refreshing, I luxuriate in eating mint chocolate chip ice cream and savoring each spoonful and lick.

I do not eat mint chocolate chip ice cream often, but when I do I delight in every mouthful that is its own Simple Joy!

Denim jacket. I’ve owned the same denim jacket with sweatshirt sleeves since I was a freshman in college, nearly 25 years ago. Although I’m sure my body has changed through the years – marriage and three babies can do that to you – the jacket still fits, looks great, is timeless, and is like an old friend.

Having a versatile, stylish, and comfortable jacket that has been with me for so long is a Simple Joy I have enjoyed for a quarter century! Think of the cost per wear!

Prepping for Thanksgiving. I know the holiday is a few weeks away, but I am already excited for and planning my Thanksgiving holiday. My husband and I are hosting family and friends – 16 in all – so I’ve already started gathering some essential non-perishable items. Last year our family was alone on this holiday weekend – we even took the children out for sushi and a movie Thanksgiving Day!

Having – and wanting – hosting duties for Thanksgiving and loved ones surrounding us, including dear friends, is a most gratifying Simple Joy to anticipate.

These Simple Joys tell my story. It gives me great pleasure to share them with you. My hope has always been that through reading my Simple Joys you will be inspired to seek and realize your own. I think we all experience Simple Joys we just don’t always recognize them.

Whether you write them down like I do, talk about them, or at least think about them, I hope you identify the Simple Joys in your life.

Wishing you a week filled with Simple Joys!

No comments:

Post a Comment